Where has Eric been?

08/22/2009 - "I'm calling you from sunny Rantoul."

After more than 50 hours of practicing, it's time. Today, I embark on my first solo cross-country to Rantoul.

Solo student flights are not permtted out of Midway, so I am required to fly from Midway to Lansing with Tom, then I will drop him off and fly the 65 nautical mile round trip to Rantoul (TIP) by myself. On the way to Lansing, Tom offered a few last pointers... specifically reminding me how to deal with unexpected failures.

"If you lose the alternator, you will lose the turn coordinator, fuel gauges and radios, but the engine will continue to run. Use your backup radio as needed and land at the nearest field. If you lose the vacuum pump, you will lose the attitude indicator and heading indicator, but you will still have the airspeed and altitude indicators, so you won't have any trouble maintaining your airspeed and altitude to find the nearest airport and land. And, if you lose the engine, remember the "A, B, C's"... Airspeed, Best Field, and Checklist. Achieve the best glide airspeed of 65 knots, look for the best field to land in, and once you have a landing site in mind, aim for it and run through the engine failure checklist to try to restart the engine. You'll still have flaps and radios, so contact the emergency frequency on 121.5 and report the engine failure, try to land with full flaps, as much into the wind as possible, and avoid fields with nearby power lines or crops any taller than soybeans. You're ready to go, Eric. Have fun!"

Made a left base for Runway 9, landed perfectly, taxied to the parking area and dropped Tom off. Lansing was actually very busy! As I took off from Runway 9, there was a helicopter in the area coming in for a landing on Runway 36, and other Cessna inbound for Runway 9. I extended my downwind until I climbed above traffic pattern altitude, then turned to the south to begin my journey.

Holding my heading of 205, and planning to climb to 4,500, but by the time I reach 3,200 I can tell that the scattered cumulus clouds directly ahead are much lower than 4,500. By the time I reach 3,700, the clouds seem to be at eye level, and as I draw closer, I decide to descend a little bit to make sure I will be under them. After 10 minutes, I hope that the clouds will allow me to fly higher, but each new bank of clouds is followed by another. 3,200 feet will have to do.

It's so quiet in the airplane by myself. Somewhere in the first 10 minutes of my flight, it dawns on me. I have the privilege of climbing into the sky, gazing down at a world that is bound by roads and sidewalks; traffic lights and fences. I am sailing high above the landlocked cares of frustrated drivers, honking their horns, wishing for an open lane on a congested highway. I'm going to travel 100 miles in the time it takes them to drive home from work. Truthfully, I cannot adequately express what it feels like to take control of an aircraft and fly to faraway places. But I just tried. ;)

Before long, Greater Kankakee Airport (IKK) is directly to the west. I am passing one of my checkpoints, so I mark the time in my navigation log. I estimated arriving at 10:15 am (15:15Z), and the time now is 10:17 am (15:17Z). Only two minutes behind schedule. I tune in to the CTAF to see if I can hear any pilots chatting from down there, but the frequency is silent. And I move on.

Looking at the time. I should be crossing my final checkpoint, the town of Paxton, very soon. Paxton will mark the start of my descent to Rantoul.




I'm scanning the horizon for the town of Paxton, or the airport. I can easily make out I-57, and I'm trying to find a distinctive bend in the highway that will help me identify the town. At last, I spot the town to the west, along with I-57 curving around it. I don't see the airport yet, but I won't descend below 2,200 until I am certain that I see it.

But, I don't. I remember spotting the airport just after seeing the town of Paxton when I made this trip with Tom. I start to wonder if I'm off course, but I can still see I-57, and I know that the town of Rantoul along with the airport is right next to the highway. Five minutes of looking around for the distinctive cross of Runway 9/27 and 18/36. I glance at the clock, and look at my navigation log. And finally, I see what happened.

My mind skipped a checkpoint! The town I saw earlier was the town of Gilman, not the town of Paxton! If I had looked more closely at my navigation log, I would have noticed that I had two more checkpoints to go... not one! I laugh out loud to myself. I guess I descended about 9 miles too early.

I look up from my sectional, and there's Paxton! The I-57 curve around the town is unmistakeable.

Well, I continue to hold 2,200 feet, because I am so close to Rantoul that attempting to climb again would be silly. It takes a few extra minutes to see the field because I am lower than I would have liked, but my altitude is safe for the area, so all I have to do is find the field. And then, at last... there she is.






According to the AWOS, the wind is still blowing gently from the north, so I tune the CTAF and report five miles north of the field along with my intention to enter the pattern on a right downwind for Runway 36. No one responds, and I don't see any other aircraft in the area. I'm going to remain vigilant in case an aircraft is buzzing around down there without calling in, but once again, it seems that I have the airport all to myself.

Good speed control and use of flaps. Touchdown is smooth, and right on the centerline. A gentle use of the brakes to slow down, and I begin to look to the left side of the runway for an exit. I can see a closed taxiway with barricades in front of it and several vehicles parked behind the barricade. There is plenty of room for me to pull off the runway and turn around, so I do so. And as I apply brake pressure to come to a full stop, I smile. My first solo leg. Complete.

Reaching into my shirt pocket; flipping open my phone; giving Tom a call.

"Hey, Tom! I'm calling you from sunny Rantoul!"

"Great job!" Tom congratulates me. "See you back here in about 45 minutes!"

Cleaning up the airplane; flaps retract, carb heat off. On the CTAF, I announce a backtaxi on Runway 36 for a departure to the north. Takeoff and climbout are normal, and I'm on my way home.

The return trip is uneventful. My cruise altitude is 3,500, and I decide to hold 3,400, following Tom's suggestion to fly at an altitude slightly higher or lower than the typical VFR altitude of 3,500 to ensure that if another VFR plane comes along at 3,500 I will easily be able to stay separated. The various banks of cumulus clouds continue to linger around the high 3,000's, so my altitude of 3,400 is perfect.

I consistently keep my eye out for other traffic, but I decide to use this long flight back home as an opportunity to become more familiar with the attitude indicator. In addition to judging my attitude by looking over the nose, along the cowling, along the windowsill and out to the wings, I periodically glance at the attitude indicator to see how my pitch affects my altitude. It doesn't take much nose-up attitude for the plane to climb 50-100 feet per minute. I am beginning to see that the attitude indicator offers a much more precise indication of the plane's pitch than I can interpret by looking over the nose, and if I concentrate on keeping the dot at the center of the horizon, I can easily correct altitude errors before they get out of control. The wind jostles me around a little bit, but I am pretty successful at holding the altitude of 3,400.

The attitude indicator is my new best friend.



Taking note of each checkpoint as I pass it; steadily closing in on Lansing. Reaching my final checkpoint: the I-57 curve to the southwest along with the racetrack (pictured at left). I look ahead at the horizon, and without a doubt, I can see Lansing. I've checked the AWOS, and the wind is still blowing gently from the north. I'm going to make straight in for Runway 36.

Carb heat on, gently descending to 2,100, and I reach the extended centerline of Runway 36 just as I finish descending. I roll out on a long final, and I realize that I am very nicely established on a good glidepath. Flaps 10, keeping the airspeed at 80, and reporting a long final for Runway 36 on the CTAF. No one responds. Again, I have the airport all to myself.


60 seconds later. I add 10 more degrees of flaps, hold the airspeed at 70 knots. The runway looks great, and I report short final on the CTAF. Throttle to idle, flaps full. Pitching the nose down, holding 65 knots. Closing in on the runway now. I pull back the control wheel steadily, and I round out. A little bit of left rudder pressure to point the nose down the centerline, and I pull back the control wheel to flare. Nose up, increasing drag, decreasing lift, and the wheels settle to the ground. It's a pretty long taxi back to the ramp, and I enjoy it. I pull up to Runway 9/27 on taxiway G, and snap a quick picture of the taxiway sign. I report crossing the runway on the CTAF and continue taxi. I approach the ramp, and I can see Tom waiting for me. Sadly, it is time for my first solo flight to end.


Aside from my early descent into Rantoul, the flight was perfect. My descent wasn't unsafe; just inefficient. In the future, I will prevent early or late descents by relying on additional landmarks to verify my position, and I will remember to use VORs as a backup to my navigation. Every flight teaches me something new.

And now it's time for the true test: long solo cross-country.

- Airman Eric

1 comment:

  1. Great job. Hope you can plug an I-Pod into your headset for the long solo. I helps me not over think long flights> oh yeah does forget an empty container. Nothing worse then having to land with a really full bladder.

    ReplyDelete