Where has Eric been?

08/13/2009 - "I feel like a real pilot today."

It's time for the final step before reaching a milestone.

Today is going to be my last trip with Tom before moving forward to solo cross-country. We're going directly from Midway to Lafayette (LAF), then a quick stop at Kankakee (IKK), and a return to Midway.

I am feeling very good about my flight planning skills. I am confident when picking checkpoints that will be easily visible from the air, and I am skilled at calculating estimated checkpoint arrival times. Towns, divided highways, major roads, railroads, rivers and airports are all valuable landmarks that a VFR pilot must use to find his way. And if I ever feel lost, I can always tune VORs to ascertain my position and take steps to get back on track. In short, Tom may be sitting next to me, but I'm on my own.

"Today, I'm pretty much just along for the ride," Tom smiles.

I take a moment to double-check my course calculation. It is important to remember that wind speed and direction constantly affects the path the aircraft makes over the ground. I am following a true course of 155 degrees, but the wind today is forecast to be from 170 degrees at 6 knots. It's not a significant amount of wind, but according to my calculations, I will need to hold a true heading of 156 degrees. Only one degree may not seem like alot of difference, but on days when the wind is 10 or even 20 knots, the required change in true heading can be significant.

It is also important to realize that an aircraft's true course is plotted according to lines of latitude and longitude, but the true course isn't necessarily the magnetic heading that the pilot needs to fly. Longitude lines are drawn to intersect at the North Pole, but the magnetic compass points to magnetic north, which is actually a couple hundred miles south of the true North Pole. As a result, a pilot must adjust the aircraft's heading to accommodate for the magnetic variation. The VFR sectional shows a magnetic variation of 2 degrees west in our area, so I am required to add 2 degrees to the true heading of 156, reaching a magnetic heading of 158. So, my magnetic heading is 3 degrees to the west of my true course according to the sectional, which doesn't seem like alot. However, the three degrees of difference, when multiplied over a 100-mile flight, can translate to more than a mile off course! Pilots must always be aware of how wind direction and speed as well as magnetic variation can affect the heading shown by the magnetic compass. Now, the heading indicator isn't so precise that it shows my heading broken down to single degrees, so I'm going to round my magnetic heading to 160 over the course of the flight because it will be easy to read.

Climbing out from Midway, and before long, we are free of their airspace on a heading of 160 toward Lafayette. I spot my first checkpoint, a small lake near a power plant about 9 miles south of Lansing. Tom calls this "Lake Wobegone" (as in Garrison Keillor's fictional hometown), but I don't see the real name on my sectional. This lake is easily identifiable, and we've arrived precisely on schedule.

Within 15 minutes, I begin to see I-65 winding steadily toward the south. I take a really close look at the highway as we get closer. I can make out the grassy median of the divided highway and a few dozen vehicles buzzing back and forth. I notice a red car travelling in almost the same direction as the airplane, and within seconds, we pass it. It's very liberating to realize that we're travelling at over 100 miles per hour, but we're so high up that it doesn't feel very fast. I wish I could travel this way every day!

Now that we're directly over I-65, I realize that my next checkpoint is very close. It is Jasper County Airport, just outside the town of Rensselaer. After only a few moments of scanning, I easily pick out the airport just to the west.

"There's Jasper County," I say.

Tom squints out the window and shakes his head.

"Nope. That's a farm," Tom corrects me.

Wow! Upon closer inspection, I could see that it wasn't an airport at all. I could see several low flat buildings with a long strip of concrete next to them, and I assumed that the buildings were hangers next to a runway. But I suddenly realized that Jasper County Airport has a north/south runway according to the sectional, but this long strip of concrete is oriented east/west. It couldn't be the airport.

I remember that Tom said that towns are easier checkpoints to pick out than airports. I began to scan ahead for the town of Rensselaer. I can see a group of houses and trees about five miles ahead, and I notice I-65 curving around it. Double-checking my sectional, and I suspect that it might be Rensselear. I look about a mile to the east of the town, and without a doubt...

"I see the airport now. I can see the north/south runway, and that's the town of Rensselaer to the east!"

"Yup," Tom agrees. Yahtzee!

Nearing Lafayette now. There is an astounding number of wind turbines to the west, and when cross-referenced with I-65 curving toward Lafayette, I realize that we are about 9 miles from town. Time to call up Lafayette Tower.

"Lafayette Tower, N737ME is a Cessna 172, 9 miles to the north. Requesting full stop."

"N737ME, Lafayette Tower. Report 3 miles north of the field; expect runway 23."

Much like Aurora, Lafayette Tower doesn't use radar. The tower controller literally stands in the center of the tower with a pair of binoculars, and when an aircraft calls up, he scans the skies with his binoculars in an effort to see them. Tower needs us to call up when we're three miles away because we will be much easier to see as we get closer.

I count city blocks just like I do when Midway asks me to report two miles south of the field. Within a few minutes, we're descending toward the field, and I can make out runway 5/23.

"N737ME is 3 miles north and we have the field."

"N737ME, make right base runway 23, report turning final."

This is the moment when I realize something critical: I've never landed at this field before, but my training has taught me how to enter the pattern, follow the controller's instructions, and land safely. I may not know exactly where the FBO is, and I would have to look the airport up in the Airport Facility Directory to find out what services they offer. But once I have the field in sight and I am given the traffic pattern entry instructions, I know what to do, and the same will hold true no matter which airport I fly to. Within a few minutes, we are safely on the ground in Lafayette. This particular landing really wasn't that big a deal, but for me, it stood as a symbol of culmination of my training.

Taxiing off to the side, and noting that I had estimated a 12:40 arrival time in LAF. The time now? 12:41!

"This is great," I say.

"What?" asks Tom.

"I feel like a real pilot today."

Sorting out my paperwork, reviewing my route for a few seconds, and I am ready to move on to Kankakee.

Lafayette Tower is running ground control today in addition to tower operations. The airport isn't much busier than Lansing on a weekday afternoon, so the tower controller is taking on extra responsibilities.

"Lafayette Tower, N737ME requesting taxi for departure to the northwest."

"N737ME, taxi to Runway 23 via B, B1."

Taxiing along the edge of the parking area, and I notice that Purdue University has a 737 parked outside of the Aviation Technology center. The engines seem to be a little bit small, so I'm not certain if this is a fully functioning 737, but it says "Purdue University" right on it and has the university's logo on the tail. I'll get a picture of it someday.

We get our takeoff clearance from the tower, and off we go!

Passing over the windmill farm northwest of Lafayette. There are at least 150 of these things! None of them are moving today, though... not much of a wind, I guess.

We pass over the town of Kentland, and it is marked by a very obvious divided highway. I point out the landmark to Tom.

"You're definitely getting better at spotting checkpoints!"

Thanks, Tom!

In almost no time at all, I look into the distance, and I can see Kankakee, plain as day. I begin my descent.

"What runways are available at Kankakee?" Tom asks.

Suddenly I realize sometime very embarassing... I forgot to write down the runways available at Kankakee, and I never printed a runway diagram. Oops.

"Uh, wow. I guess I didn't write it down!"

"You have to remember to take down all pertinent information about the airports on your route. Runways available at your destination definitely qualify as pertinent information!"

How much do you wanna bet that I will never forget to record the runways at my destination airport ever again?

"The main runway in Kankakee is 16/34," Tom finally lets me off the hook. "And where is the wind coming from?"

"The north," I say.

"Yup!" Tom agrees. "So, which runway are you going to use?"

"34," I respond. I look up at the field slowly approaching, and I can make out Runway 34. And my brain just clicked.

"I can make a right base for Runway 34 just like we did for 23 in Lafayette!"

"You sure can," Tom agrees once again.

It's all perfect! Keeping my speed up as I descend to the traffic pattern altitude of 1,600. We call the Kankakee CTAF and reported three miles out for a right base to Runway 34. No one responded, which means that no other pilots are on the frequency. I scan the airport area, and I can't see anyone buzzing around the field. The airport is ours.

Keeping my speed at 80 knots, 10 degrees of flaps, descending on base, and the runway looks good. 20 degrees of flaps, 70 knots. A right turn to final, and I roll out precisely on the centerline. From there, it's less than a minute, and we are safely on the ground. Another stellar landing.

"Nice work," Tom congratulates. I just smile.

Double-checking the paperwork, and heading home. Did more hood time on the return trip to Midway. I am having more difficulty holding my headings and altitudes because the air is a little bumpy today. My scan of the instruments keeps breaking down, and if I fixate on any one of the instruments, I am ignoring other instruments, and it shows. My altitude is increasing and decreasing outside of the tolerances that I will need to stay within during the practical exam. And I have an explanation.

I mentioned previously that when flying IFR, a pilot is unable to determine his/her attitude in relation to the ground because he/she cannot see the ground. In this situation, a pilot must rely solely on the instruments and completely ignore the motion signals received by the body's senses. And boy, is it hard! Today, I am having trouble holding my altitude while wearing the hood because I am trying to compromise between what the instruments are telling me and what my body is telling me. I guess that somehow I thought that I would be better able to predict the outcome of my control surface movements by using the instruments to make decisions in concert with information I receive from my sense of motion, but it is clear to me now that this is precisely what an instrument pilot cannot do. I need utilize my attitude indicator as my primary instrument for decision making, and I need to entirely ignore the sensations my body feels. There is value, however, in paying attention to my sense of hearing because the sound of the propeller changes based on whether I climbing or descending, but paying attention to my sense of motion is completely counterproductive. We have more time to work on simulated instrument skills, and I'm going to need it.

The best part of today's lesson was right at the end. I made a little mistake unfolding the pattern at Midway, and I was a couple hundred feet high on final. Tom asked me to put the aircraft into a slip. The wind was slightly from the left, so I applied as much right rudder as I could possibly muster and used the control wheel to hold the centerline. The nose of the plane pointed 45 degrees to the right, and I could see that we were descending much more quickly. By pointing the airplane's nose so far to the right, I increased the drag on the airframe and we descended sharply without increasing airspeed above 65 knots. When I was about 20 feet above the runway, I applied enough left rudder to straighten out the nose of the plane and point it down the centerline. Smooth flare just above the runway surface, and the plane settled down to a gentle landing. Exited right at F, crossed Runway 4R, and rolled straight to the gate.

Tom is satisfied. Solo cross-country is next. For the first time ever, I'm going to travel to another airport all by myself.

I can't wait.

- Airman Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment