Where has Eric been?

08/18/2009 - "I'm shocked!"

Over the past few days, the weather has just not been cooperative. I've had to cancel two lessons with Tom already, and this morning, he called me to cancel a third.


"The cloud ceiling is going to be under 1,000 feet all day, and the visibility isn't very good either," Tom advises me.

"Well, can I come in and take my written test?" I ask.

"Sure. You're ready for it?"

Without a doubt, I'm ready. I've been practicing with the Sporty's test prep program that came with my DVDs. Just last week, I took a sample test and received a 96%. Every time I take the practice test, I might get one or two questions that throw me for a loop, but I am certain that I'm going to earn at least a 90%. I only need a 70% to pass.

I meet Tom at the office, bringing my government I.D. and my logbook. Tom endorses my logbook, attesting that I am ready to take the test. Tom advises me that if I join the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), I will receive $10 off the test cost and I will have access to several pilot benefits, the most important of which is free legal counsel in the event that I am involved in some sort of incident in connection with flying. Sweet deal! I sign up for the coverage, and after a phone call to the FAA Test Center, the test is uploaded to the computer, and Tom preps me on what to expect.

"60 questions, with 1 extra question that doesn't count toward your score. Each question is multiple choice. Here is a book of diagrams that you will use during the test. You can use your flightplan plotter, your flight computer, a plastic overlay for reading graphs, and scratch paper. You can't look at your Federal Aviation Regulation manual or your Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge... no books. You have 2 1/2 hours to complete the test, and when you've answered all of the questions and are ready to submit, let me know."

I'm ready. Let's do it!

After about 65 minutes, I had answered every question, and I was satisfied with most of them. Except for one.

The normal radius of the outer area of Class C airspace is:
A. 15 nautical miles.
B. 20 nautical miles.
C. 5 nautical miles.


Now take a look at this picture of Midway's Class C airspace:

The radius of the innermost ring in this picture is 5 nautical miles, so the radius to the outer area is 10 nautical miles, yes? And yet 10 nautical miles is not a choice!

I am confused by this question. If they used the word 'diameter', I would have no difficulty; the answer would be B., 20 nautical miles. But when they use the word 'radius', it throws me off.

When I answered this question on the Sporty's Test Prep program, they show the correct answer as "20". So that's what I put down. And with that decision made, I'm confident that I've aced this test. I am completely confident in my answers regarding flight planning, weight and balance calculations, and all other areas. I'm certain that I've got my 90%.

"Okay, Tom! I'm ready!"

Tom comes over, submits my test, and prints out my result. Here it is. The moment of truth.

82%.

Uh... WHAT!?

I couldn't believe it! I passed, but with a disgusting 82%! How is that possible!?!?

"I'm shocked!" I say.

"Me, too," says Tom. "I was certain that you would get a 90%."

UGH!

The test result document lists the learning areas where I failed to answer a question correctly. As I look over these learning areas and recall the questions I answered, I could slap myself across the face for some of the mistakes I made.

Briefly, here are the learning areas where I answered a question incorrectly, along with my explanation for what went wrong:

1. Interpret altimeter - readings / settings: I couldn't believe the ridiculous mistake that I made. I misread the 'thousands' needle on the altimeter in the book. I answered "1,500 feet", and the correct answer was "10,500 feet". The only reason that I have for missing this question is that I was so certain that I knew the answer, I rushed through it and never gave it a second thought. I can definitely read an altimeter, so I'm not worried about missing this question, but I'm disappointed that I did.

2. Interpret information on a Sectional Chart: I'll own up to this one. I think that the question wanted me to indicate the altitude that Class G airspace started for an indicated airport, and I mistakenly answered 700 ft. AGL when I should have answered 1,200 ft. AGL. I need to study up on airspace... sometimes I still mix up some of the finer details.

3. Interpret information on a Winds and Temperatures Aloft Forecast (FB): Another silly mistake. I wasn't sure if the wind direction was presented as 'true' or 'magnetic'. As I've said before, airplanes use a magnetic compass to determine direction, so when a tower clears an aircraft to takeoff or land with a wind advisory, that wind is issued with a magnetic heading. However, the wind direction in the forecast is given as a true heading. I answered the question wrong, but you can bet I'll never forget that the only time that wind direction is expressed as a magnetic heading is when a tower gives the information as part of a takeoff or landing clearance.

4. Recall airport operations - markings / signs / lighting: I was asked which sign would tell me which runway I am currently on, and my choices were "E", "F", or "M". I knew that option "E" was a taxiway sign, but I had never seen option "F" or "M" before. I ultimately answered "M" because I thought that option "F" would have to also be a taxiway sign, considering that it is the same color as the taxiway sign. By now, you've figured out what I should have answered. Yup. The correct answer was "F". Another simple mistake, and I'm certain I won't make it again.

5. Recall airport operations - visual glideslope indicators: I couldn't believe what I did! I was asked what color I would see from a tri-color VASI if I were above the glideslope. A VASI is a set of lights at the foot of a runway that a pilot uses to verify if his/her approach is on target (on the glideslope), or above or below the glideslope. The answer choices were "red", "white" and "amber". I knew that "red" means that I am below the glideslope, and that "green" means on the glideslope, but I couldn't remember if the 'above the glideslope' signal was white or amber. I knew that a tri-color VASI is capable of an amber signal, but I couldn't remember if it could give off a white signal. I hedged my bets, and I chose "amber". And I was wrong. The 'above the glideslope' signal on a tri-color VASI is "white". I was correct the 'red' and 'green' lights from the VASI can blend together to appear amber, but only if the pilot is at the very bottom of the acceptable glideslope, on the way to descending below it. Again, another silly mistake that I won't make again.

6. Recall airspace classes - limits / requirements / restrictions / airspeeds / equipment: Not sure which question I answered incorrectly in this area, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was the Class C Airspace question I talked about earlier. I did answer 20 nautical miles, which the Sporty's Test Prep says is the correct answer. But as I look at the wording of the question ("radius of the outer area of Class C"), I think that the correct answer may have been 5 nautical miles. I am studying all airspace specifications in detail before my oral exam, so I hope that whatever mistake I made in this learning area, I won't make it again.

7. Recall airspace requirements - visibility / cloud clearance: I think that I was asked what the VFR minimums are for Class D airspace, and I chose "1 mile and clear of clouds", which is actually the VFR minimum for Class G airspace. Again, I will be boning up on my airspace knowledge before the practical exam.

8. Recall regulations - general right-of-way rules: Another silly mistake! I was asked which aircraft has the right-of-way above all others, and the choices were "glider", "airship", and "an aircraft refueling in mid-air". I knew that the answer was NOT "glider", and I opted for "airship" because I figured that any other aircraft, even a refueling one, would be more maneuverable than the airship, so the airship should have right-of-way. Nope! The correct answer is the aircraft that is refueling, which in hindsight makes sense. An aircraft refueling in mid-air is physically connected to the aircraft dispensing the fuel... how in the world are they going to give way to anyone! Yet another question that I will never forget the answer to.

9. Recall regulations - requirements of a flight plan release: I was asked whether I should file my highest cruise altitude, lowest cruise altitude, or my initial altitude on the flightplan form if I am conducting a flight with more than one cruise altitude. The correct answer is 'initial altitude', which I'm actually pretty sure that I answered correctly, but maybe I made some type of clerical error. Nevertheless, I will be learning more about filing a flightplan with ATC before taking my exam, and I will re-read all the information I can find.

10. Recall regulations - use of narcotics / drugs / intoxicating liquor: Again, a silly mistake! I was asked what the legal limit for blood alcohol percentage is permissible before flying an aircraft. My choices were ".10%", ".08%", and ".04%". I had definitely read about this legal limit, but I couldn't remember if the correct answer was ".08%" or ".04%". I decided to answer ".08%" because I remembered that .08% is the legal limit of blood alcohol percentage for drivers, and I hoped that the limit for pilots would be the same. The correct answer is ".04%", twice as strict as the limit for driving. The thing that really kills me about this is that I knew the correct answer, but I guess I talked myself out of it. Yet again, a mistake that I will not duplicate again.

So, of the 11 questions I answered incorrectly, I chalk 6 of them up to silly errors. At the end of the day, I got an 82% on this exam because I was overconfident in some areas, but had failed to study properly in other areas. I was capable of getting 55 of the 60 questions correct, and probably could have done so if I had checked my answers more carefully. For those of you doing the math, my score would have been a 92%!

Well, on the bright side, I did pass. During my oral exam I will have to demonstrate that I have studied the areas where I made mistakes. I am going to print the questions that I missed, explain why I missed them, and tell the examiner what I have done to ensure that I know the material.

It's time for solo.

- Airman Eric

2 comments:

  1. Dont feel bad about the score... anything better then 70% is just showing off :D... i only scored 78% on my private and 70% on my Instrument..... however passed the oral and checkride on both first try without a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, a couple of corrections maybe..

    The tricolor vasi is Amber at above.

    On right of way.... balloons over gliders over airships over airplanes or rotorcraft.

    An airplane towing or refueling has the right away over all ENGINE-driven aircraft...

    In the example, a glider being non engine and less maneuverable has the right of way.

    ReplyDelete