Where has Eric been?

11/11/2009 - "My brother is a great pilot."

When I was training for my license this summer, my sister Jaime had voiced a passing interest in taking a trip to Bloomington/Normal (to visit her old college campus at Illinois State) once I finally earned my ticket. And just last week, within hours of earning my certificate, I was excitedly telling Jaime all about the experiences of the day. It didn't take long... suddenly, I was making plans to transport my first passenger as pilot-in-command.

We will take advantage of our mutual day off on Veteran's Day and make a short hop to Bloomington. We'll have lunch at Jaime's favorite college restaurant, visit the campus bookstore, and explore ISU's campus. Jaime will get a walk down memory lane, and I will enjoy some cross country pilot-in-command time as well as some quality time with my sis.


Of course, I don't know how we will get around the city. By bus? By taxi? Either option could prove to be very expensive, and the airplane isn't cheap to begin with!

I look up Bloomington's Central Illinois Airport (KBMI) in the Airport Facility Directory. I note that there are two runways: 2/20 and 11/29. I also identify the FBO on the field, Image Air (marked in this airport diagram by a star at the top of the page), and I find their website, (now replaced by Synergy Flight Center). I begin reading comments that other pilots have left about the service at the FBO, and repeatedly see a phrase in the comments that pleases me very much:

Courtesy car.

Turns out that Image Air offers a free courtesy car to GA pilots who fly into KBMI. I call the FBO, and they assure me that they will make a car available. Transportation problem solved!

I wake up before 7:00 a.m., and set out to file VFR flightplans for the trip to KBMI as well as the return trip to KMDW. I will need to contact Kankakee Flight Service once I am clear from Midway's airspace to activate the flightplan. If I fail to arrive at KBMI within 30 minutes of my expected arrival time, air traffic controllers will start making phone calls to determine my whereabouts, and if they cannot verify that I landed somewhere, they will start rescue operations. Unlike IFR aircraft, I am not required to file a flightplan, but when I do so, it ensures that if there is any emergency and I am unable to declare it, my absence won't go unnoticed. Of course, I MUST remember to deactivate my flightplan once I have landed, because if I forget to do so, my aircraft might be listed as missing, resulting in a very costly rescue operation that I will be financially responsible for!

On a side note, the flight plan permits me to enter whatever I want into a remarks section... I decide to write, "First flight with my sister!"

Briefing uneventful, left the house at 8:30 a.m., planning for a 9:00 departure. Weather is stone cold perfect: Clear, sunny, a high in the mid 50's, a light wind from the east. As we drive down Garfield Boulevard on the way to the airport, I have the window open, enjoying the crisp fall air laden with the light scent of freshly fallen leaves. Anticipation!

We arrive at KMDW, enter through the south gate, park outside Atlantic FBO. Jaime is very impressed by the Atlantic lobby... the clean tile floor, the classy furniture, the HDTV, the kitchen decorated with glass and stainless steel, the comfy pilot's lounge... I think she was expecting maybe a hanger with a few planes in it, with a few pilots huddling around a trash can, chain-smoking cigarettes and burning their old VFR sectionals for warmth. We didn't see any of that today... it's not December yet. ;)





A quick check of the updated weather, a stop at the restroom and coffee machine, and we begin the short walk to N737ME. When we arrive at the plane, I began my preflight walkaround, and Jaime climbs into the passenger seat. She snaps this shot as I untie the security rope from the right wing. Plenty of fuel, and the plane looks great.







I give Jaime a detailed passenger briefing, making sure that her seatbelt is securely fastened, showing her how to latch and lock her passenger door, and I make sure that she will keep her arms and legs clear of the control wheel. I explain that her primary job on the flight is to continuously look around for other aircraft. I explain that when I'm talking to air traffic control, we're going to maintain a sterile cockpit; in other words, if I'm talking to controllers on the radio, Jaime and I won't talk to each other unless there is something critically important to our safety, for example, a converging aircraft. I challenge Jaime to a game: we will both look for aircraft, and whoever spots a plane should point it out to the other. I specifically ask my passengers to watch out for aircraft over their right shoulder, because my passenger has a better view of the area to the right rear of the aircraft than I do. A word to VFR pilots: Put your passengers to work! Ask them to help you look for aircraft... it's fun for them, and increases safety for both of you.

I call for clearance: VFR departure to the south. I taxi to the edge of the tower apron, perform runup; the engine is running well. I call for taxi: F, K to 4L, hold short 4R. As we roll on K, I can see a LearJet taxiing on Y that will eventually converge with us. The ground controller instructs me to give way to the LearJet, which I was planning to do anyway, so I slow down the taxi and let the LearJet pass in front of me. After the jet rolls by, we are told to cross 4R and continue to 4L. I pull up to the hold short line, perform a final flow check to ensure that the plane is configured for takeoff, and call up Tower, ready to go.


Tower asks us to position and hold 4L as a 737 departs 4R. I warn Jaime that we're going to do a short field takeoff to ensure that we will remain above the wake turbulence generated by the departing jet. Credit goes to Jaime for this takeoff video... Her phone interpreted the propeller as a strange black shape in front of our plane... Kinda looks like a Nike Swoosh, doesn't it?

Within a few minutes of takeoff, Jaime points out the left window, and I think that she's pointing out an aircraft. I'm scanning, squinting, staring out the window for this plane, but I don't see anything. Jaime taps me, and shakes her head 'no'. I'm so confused! I'm still in Midway's airspace, so I'm still talking to the Midway Tower controller, and Jaime is definitely respecting my instructions to maintain a sterile cockpit; she says nothing. Jaime gestures with her hands to indicate, "It was nothing, Eric! Don't worry!" So I press on.

Before long, we're clear of Midway's airspace, free to change frequency from the Tower controller, turning to a heading of 215, and climbing up to 4,500 for the trip to BMI. Finally, Jaime tells me what she was pointing at.

"I was pointing at a baseball diamond! I thought it was neat to see a baseball diamond from the air, so I pointed at it, but you're like, where's the plane where's the plane where's the plane?!? I guess I won't point out touristy things!"

Here I realized that I don't really spend time looking at the scenery anymore! Sure, if I have a spare second, I'll take note of a beautiful sunset or an impressive lake... but when I'm flying, my mind is thoroughly dedicated to seeing and avoiding obstacles and other aircraft. During my first lesson, I remember being overwhelmed by the sights, and working hard to take it all in, but now, the awesome spectacle of the world seen from the air has lost a little bit of its luster. I have no regrets... I'm glad that I have been trained to focus on what the plane is doing rather than the majesty of the scenery. I'm a pilot, not a passenger. I never stop flying the plane.

Levelling out at 4,500, leaning the mixture to optimize fuel consumption. I contact Kankakee Flight Service to activate the flight plan.

"Kankakee Radio, Cessna 737ME transmitting on 122.1, receiving on 114.2."

"Cessna 737ME, Kankakee Radio, go ahead."

"Cessna 737ME would like to activate VFR flight plan, departure time from Midway was 9:40 local."

"Cessna 737ME, your flight plan is activated, have a nice flight to Bloomington."

Our first checkpoint turns out to be difficult for me to see. I've chosen a crooked country road that intersects with a minor river, and I've learned from experience that rivers are very difficult to spot from the air. Jaime and I talk about this checkpoint for several minutes, and just as I am ready to give up on it and move to the next one, Jaime points straight down.

"Is this the road?" she asks.

I look out of the right window where Jaime is pointing, and instantly, I realize that she is correct.

"Yes! You found it!" I congratulate my sister.






We continue toward Bloomington. I am tracking the BMI VOR on the 220 inbound radial, and I explain to Jaime that as long as the VOR needle remains centered, we are on course. Passing a few more checkpoints, precisely on schedule... Before long, the town of Pontiac is off our right wing, and I can make out KPNT airport to the north of the town. Of course, I've been to KPNT before... on my nighttime cross-country! We're not landing there today, though... pressing on to Bloomington.





And at last, the town of Lexington is visible ahead. This is my point to begin descending to KBMI. I pull on the carburetor heat, enrich the mixture to full, and start the descent to 2,800. KBMI is a Delta that tops out at 3,400, and I will need to contact Bloomington Tower before entering their airspace. Tuning the radio to 124.6, and tuning the second radio to the ground control frequency of 121.65. Hey... the ground control frequency is the same at KBMI as it is at Midway!

"The airport should be straight ahead. Help me look for it."

Jaime and I scan the area ahead, and within 5 minutes of descending to 2,800, I can see the faint outline of Runway 2/20. We're about 10 miles away... it's time to call.

"Bloomington Tower, N737ME is a Cessna 172, 10 miles to the north, landing with November."

"N737ME, Bloomington Tower, report 3 miles north of the field on a left base for Runway 11."

"We'll enter on a left base for Runway 11 and call 3 north of the field, N737ME."





Jaime snaps a shot of the city of Bloomington to the west. That's ISU's campus in the distance. Kudos to Jaime for her camera work... she is taking snapshots with her camera and videos with my camera at the same time! We're down to 1,800 now, and I'm still aiming straight at the field. Soon, I'm able to make out Runway 11/29, so I turn slightly to the right, establishing myself on a long left base.







Credit goes to Jaime for taking this video of the landing... She used my 6MP digital camera, so the picture quality is a little better.

"N737ME is left base Runway 11."

"N737ME, don't have you in sight yet, state your position."

"N737 is 2 miles north of the field on a long left base Runway 11."

"N737ME, have you now, Runway 11, wind 090 at 5, cleared to land."

As I turn final, I realize why the tower controller was surprised about my position. As you can see in the video, I was really far away from the runway!

Tom's voice echoes in my mind, "Why are you flying a jumbo jet pattern!?! Always stay close enough to glide to the runway if your engine fails!"

Sorry, Tom.

However, I am proud to say that by applying a little throttle, I close in on the runway, pull the power and drop full flaps, touching down smoothy, and exiting left at D, the first available taxiway.

"Bloomington Ground, N737ME, taxi to Image Air."

"N737ME, Bloomington Ground, taxi to Image Air via A."

"To Image Air via A, N737ME."

We pull up to the FBO, and an aircraft attendant ushers me to a parking space. I shut down the engine, pop open the door, ask him to top off the tanks. Jaime and I gather up our things and head to the FBO.

"Hi. 737ME is here, and we have a courtesy car on hold," I say.

"No problem, sir." Grin.

I fill out an aircraft parking form with my name, phone number, and expected return time. They don't ask me for a driver's license, or a credit card. This is what I love about aviation: the entire aviation community is based on the honor system. I am a private pilot, which means not only am I offered a free rental car without so much as a verification of my driver's license, but I am trusted to bring the car back based on my promise to do so. Okay, granted... they DO have my plane, which is a pretty big piece of collateral, but still, it is really flattering to be trusted with a car based on nothing more than my promise that I will return it. We head out to the car, a white Chevy Cavalier, nice and clean.

I call Flight Service on my cell phone to close my VFR flightplan.

"So, you've landed safely in Bloomington?" asks the briefer.

"Yes, I have," I respond.

"Did your sister enjoy the flight?"

I laugh. When you put a remark in a flight plan, they pay attention. ;)

"Yes, she did!"

"Okay, your flightplan is closed. Enjoy your time in Bloomington." And with that, we set out on our Bloomington/Normal adventure.

We are both hungry, so we drive west to Veteran's Parkway, north to Vernon Drive, and west to Avanti's, at 407 S. Main St. This was Jaime's favorite college restaurant, so she is really excited. I commend the restaurant on their fresh Italian bread; it is warm, crispy on the outside, soft and tender in the middle. I order ravioli, Jaime orders tortellini, both of us order meat sauce with meatballs. We share our pasta, sip root beer, and enjoy some brother/sister time. We order a Gondola to go (an 18" sandwich on their Italian bread with salami and other cold cuts). A wonderful lunch.

Walking down Main Street, and Jaime is amazed to see her old dormitories, Walker and Dunn-Barton, have been completely demolished, and the university is building a new "Student Fitness Center/Kinesiology/Recreation Center" in their place. Apparently, "Kinesiology" is ISU's fancy word for "Gym Class". Stopping off at the Alamo, the campus bookstore, and I buy Jaime a belated birthday present: a pair of comfy ISU pajama pants. Continuing our walk around the campus.

Before we left on this trip, Jaime advised me that ISU has a Bowling and Billards Hall on campus, and of course, I just HAD to stop there! We bowl two games, laughing, having a great time. We wanted to play a game of air hockey, but sadly, we had no quarters!

Walking around campus for another half hour, enjoying the sunny weather. It's getting late. We walk back to the car, drive up to the Redbird Arena, look around for a little bit. We stop off at Dairy Queen for a couple Blizzards, and as the sun dips in the sky, we head back to the airport, planning to depart at 4 p.m.

The FBO has moved our plane to the front of the parking area to ensure an easy exit. I return the courtesy car, and settle up for the fuel: $60 for 14 gallons of gas. What a great FBO... I would definitely return! I double check the weather on http://aviationweather.gov, and it still looks great. I call up the briefer, and verify that no mysterious TFRs have popped up over Chicago... Nope! We're ready to go!

On my way out the door, it occurs to me that the sun might be on its way down by the time we get close to MDW at 5:00. I ask the lady behind the desk if she has "any word on the time of sunset," and she is perplexed.

Jaime laughs at me. "The word on the sunset?" she smiles, "It's going DOWN!"

I think you probably realize that Jaime learned how to be a wiseass by watching me. ;)

Smooth taxi and takeoff from BMI, calling up Kankakee Radio to activate my VFR flightplan, tuning the 040 BMI outbound radial, and heading home.






Within 20 minutes, I've reached my first two checkpoints, and the headwind is a little stronger than was forecast this morning. The sun is setting steadily. It's beautiful, but I definitely begin to feel that I'll be doing some night flight before this trip is over, and I'm a little nervous!







Forty minutes later, I can make out the white lights of the John Hancock and Sears Tower (and no, it is NOT called the Willis Tower, and never will be) on the horizon, and I am certain that I am close to Midway, but I'm a little worried about busting the Midway Class C. It got dark really fast, and I'm a little disoriented. The last thing I want to do is violate an airspace regulation!

Descending to 1,900, and scanning the highways below. I'm certain I can see I-80, but I'm having a little trouble spotting I-57, and I'm counting on spotting I-57 because the I-80/I-57 interchange is directly south of Midway, and I'm used to flying north from this interchange to enter Midway's airspace.

I decide to turn away from the city and descend to the south until I can get my bearings. I remember that Kevin said if I get lost on the way to Midway, I can track the EON 005 degree outbound radial, and it will lead me right into Midway's airspace. I tune my NAV radio, set it accordingly, and the needle immediately centers.

Wow... according to the NAV radio, I'm in the right spot, after all!

I turn the airplane back to the north and instantly identify the I-80/I-57 interchange, with Cicero Avenue continuing to the north.

I know exactly where I am.

I suddenly realize that I had nothing to worry about. I was precisely on course, and if I had continued to descend to 1,900 at my previous heading, I would have spotted the I-57/I-80 interchange within minutes, and continued to Midway. I also realize that instead of turning away from the city, I could have tracked the CGT 090 radial inbound, then intercepted the EON 005 outbound radial, and followed that to Midway. I'm splitting hairs, here. The fact of the matter is that I was unsure of my exact position, and rather than risk busting the Midway Class C, I decided to err on the side of caution until the proper course of action became clear. I was sloppy, but safe. ;)

I contact Midway Tower, enter the Charlie from the south, fly over the top of the airport to make a left downwind for 4L. Smooth landing, a little left of the centerline, but I slow down in time to exit at F, and with Tower's blessing, cross 4R and continue unabated to the tower apron.

I shut down, call up Flight Service to close the flightplan, and secure the aircraft. Jaime reminds me to get my emergency radio from the cockpit, and I'm glad she did, or I might have left my radio in the plane a third time! It's been a wonderful day, but the best part didn't come until we got home and I opened my Facebook page.

My sister had updated her Facebook Status to read, "My brother is a great pilot." I am overjoyed.

2.8 hours of cross country time on the books for a total of 8.1... 41.9 hours to go to satisfy my cross-country requirement for the instrument rating! I've come a long way, but I still have a long way to go!

- Airman Eric

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog... i just finished getting my IFR ticket on 10/8.... It's really not as bad as you might think. Not sure if your a dog/cat person but one thing i did to build x-country time was flew for www.pilotsnpaws.org flew a few longer trips such as Kirksville,MO to Grand Rapids, MI but it was alot of fun and built hours at the same time....

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a pretty awesome idea, flying pets.

    I'll agree with the blog, that was a looooong final. Noticed you applied power at one point to extend. One thing I have noticed is that AG and ME fly differently, and ignore flightsim for anything other than IFR. The power settings don't translate well to the real thing. In the mean time, maybe take Tom up with you and practice crosswind landings and the pattern to keep the training alive.

    Speaking of flight sim though, I'm just in the final process of cleaning up C56 for FSX. It bugged me enough that the airport wasn't correct in FSX when I use it as a training airport. I'll post it on AVSIM over the weekend if I'm satisfied with how it looks.

    GregV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Thanks for the feedback... I know that it was a long final... That was an exception rather than the rule.

    While we're on the topic of FS, are you aware of a good KIGQ scenery? The default one is FS is horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a look at the KIGQ scenery. I think I've visited that airport maybe 3 times on FSX, but I've landed at both runways with Tom many times. I really wish there were actual airport diagrams of them though. It would make laying out the airport way easier since I'm going by memory and satellite images.

    In the mean time, one of these weekends I'll go flying again. I flew Mid January and the snow drifts on lansings 18 was so cool. Totally worth the frostbite during preflight ;) I'm on the schedule for Saturday. We'll see how that goes.

    GregV.

    ReplyDelete