Where has Eric been?

07/20/2009 - "I see the town! We'll be there in a few..."

I've had three lessons since my botched landing at Midway, or as I'll refer to it, my "Midway Mistake." Simply put, I'm making small gains and rebuilding confidence in my landings, but I've reached a plateau. Every time I get something right, something else goes wrong. If I manage to get my airspeed pegged on final and I'm all proud of myself, I suddenly realize that I've turned base too soon and I'm too high. So I concentrate on pegging my altitude just before turning base, but then I wind up turning final too soon, and I'm too high again!

Still fixating on one detail while another detail gets away from me. Need to build up my ability to multitask.

On the bright side, I am finally improving my rudder pressure consistency. On my climbouts, I am consistently applying the correct amount of right rudder pressure, and the turn coordinator ball is centered. This makes my climbouts more stable and more efficient. Of course, I still wrestle with the correct amount of rudder pressure to point the plane's nose down the centerline on final. I am certainly improving, but I'm not quite there yet.

Today, we're taking a break from endless go-arounds to work on a new skill. It's time for my first cross-country!

"Cross-country" doesn't mean that I'm flying across the entire country; it just means that I am departing from one airport and travelling to another one. Before earning my Private Pilot certificate, I will be required to fly a long solo cross-country flight totalling 150 nautical miles, including three takeoffs and landings at a towered field. Today we'll be developing my cross-country skills by taking a trip from Lansing to Rantoul Airport, pictured above.

Every cross-country begins with a flight plan. I'm going to use a VFR sectional to plan my route to Rantoul; it's essentially a map of airport locations and communication freqencies, along with navaids and obvious landmarks that pilots can use to find their way around. First, I use a plotter to draw a line on the sectional between my departure airport and arrival airport, and measure the distance between the two airports to be 75 nautical miles. Correcting my course and ground speed for the forecast winds, I'm going to be holding a heading of 210, and it will take about 45 minutes to reach Rantoul. I'll be climbing to an altitude of 4,500 feet on the way there, and we'll cruise at 3,500 feet on the way back. These altitudes are chosen based on standard VFR cruise altitude rules.

The next step of the flight plan is to pick checkpoints; several groups of specific landmarks that I will use to verify my progress on the route. Tom explained that I must pick easily identifiable landmarks that are next to each other, such as a highway that crosses a road and some railroad tracks along next to a smokestack. Assuming that I am on course, it should be pretty easy to verify when I am overflying this specific checkpoint, at which point I will note the time and guesstimate whether or not I am keeping up with my schedule.

Departing from Lansing, climbing above traffic pattern altitude, turning left to my heading of 210. I've never flown above 3,300 feet or so, and as I climbed past 4,000, the quality of air was remarkable. Cool, sweet smelling, and just slightly misty. At 4,500 feet, we're cruising at an altitude where air pollution can scarcely reach. I was very surprised by how quickly we reached our first checkpoint: an interchange between I-57 and a major east/west road, along with two nearby horse racing tracks and a sizeable radio tower. I marked the time in my cross-country log, and noted that we are have arrived at this checkpoint 3 minutes late when compared to what I predicted. It turns out that I failed to include the time it would take to climb to our cruise altitude; obviously the plane flies a little slower over the ground when a good amount of the thrust is being used to climb.

About 30 minutes into our flight, we were very close to my next checkpoint. Tom, as always, is checking on my thought process and making sure that I'm paying attention to my flight plan.

"So, what is your next checkpoint?" Tom asks.

"The town of Momence, with I-57 bending around it," I respond.

Squinting into the distance. I can see I-57, and I'm looking for the town. Suddenly...

"I see it!" I say. "Do you?"

"I think I do," Tom said, pointing into the distance at a far-away huddled group of buildings and vegetation. "I see the town of Momence. How long until we get there?"

Tom has a good sense of humor, and he loves wordplay. So I threw this one at him:

"We'll be there in a few Momence."

Big laughs. ;)

Within 10 more minutes, I reached my next checkpoint: the town of Paxton. At this point, I'm pretty much following I-57 to Rantoul. It was very easy to pick out the town because I-57 curved around it, but I had a tough time finding Paxton Regional Airport. Just when I was ready to give up scanning for the airport, I suddenly spotted it! Tucked in between several farmer's fields I could see the thin strip of asphalt that is Runway 18/36. Blink and you'll miss it!

My checkpoint over Paxton also represented the start of my descent into Rantoul. Carb heat on, throttle back to 2,100 RPMs, descending to 2,200 feet, which is traffic pattern altitude at Rantoul plus 500 feet. And looking ahead into the distance, at last, we saw the field! Tuned in the AWOS, and the automated weather service is reporting light winds from the west. Tom reminded me to overfly the field and try to get a look at the windsock to verify the wind. Yup, the sock is showing wind from the west, and the sock is barely inflated, indicated light winds. We'll be landing on Runway 27.

Called on the CTAF, reported entering 45 degrees to the left downwind for Runway 27. Didn't hear any traffic at the airport, but remained vigilant for other aircraft. I was a little late turning my downwind for Runway 27, and was cutting my pattern a little close. Once again, I'm wrestling with the traffic pattern and landing. Decided to swing out a little further to ensure that I wouldn't be too high on final, as has been my custom.

Abeam the threshold; 10 degrees of flaps, 80 knots. I've got the airspeed pegged. Turn to base looks good, and I glance out of the left window to see the runway coming closer. I looked straight down at the ground to gauge my speed, then back up to the runway to plan my turn onto the extended centerline. In the past, I've repeatedly made this turn too early, and I didn't want to make that mistake again.

I resisted my initial impulse to turn to final, and continued on base for 2 more seconds. Began the turn, and as the runway appeared, I could see that I was going to roll out perfectly.

"Nice turn to final!" congratulated Tom.

I was determined to avoid my next common error: pulling the throttle to idle too late. I pull the throttle back now, pitch for 65 knots, and within a few seconds the plane's nose is steadily pointing further and further down the runway. Full flaps. Aiming for the numbers.

"This looks good," coaxed Tom. "We're going to land just fine."

Passed over the numbers at about 20 feet. Began the roundout, and the flare for landing. Sinking... gently... not much rudder correction needed, just a little bit of right rudder to point the nose down the centerline. Plenty of runway left. Stall horn sounds, but I'm about five feet above the ground, so I keep the nose-up attitude steady... sinking further... and...

Touchdown! One of my best landings ever!

I am so thankful to Tom for suggesting that we do the cross country today instead of mercilessly doing those landings without much improvement. The change of pace was a perfect way to get my mind out of its rut and get me back on course. And for the first time in more than a week, I landed, and without any of the heebie-jeebies!

Taxied off to the side, took a moment to do checklists and think about my route home. Rest of the ride uneventful. Saw a little bit of light precipitation on the way back from Rantoul, and Tom decided to divert to Midway just in case the precipitation should increase. I saw Bult, then Lansing, and I was able to find my way back to the airport. And with a smooth landing on 4L at Midway, the lesson drew to a close.

Cross-country is a ton of fun. Obviously, the purpose of earning one's private pilot license is so that one can actually go somewhere... Today, I finished my first trip over 50 miles, and I got to smell the sweet air at 4,500 feet.

The landing at Rantoul felt very good; I'm finally getting a feel for the entry into the traffic pattern.

The journey continues.

- Airman Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment