Where has Eric been?

06/30/2009 - "When I say right rudder, I mean right rudder!"

Pictured at left: N739AG. This is a nice plane! Leather and cloth interior, very clean, well-cared-for instrument panel. Tom tells me that this is the plane I will be taking my checkride in. Looking forward to it.


I snapped a quick shot of Tom before starting my preflight. I call this his "instructor headshot". Be sure to appreciate the leather and cloth interior of this plane, because I sure do!




Still battling my bad flight sim habits as I work on takeoffs and landings today. It takes every bit of my concentration to keep from pitching the nose down too far and increasing the airspeed. I constantly remind myself... Let the runway come to me... But as soon as I focus my mind on other parts of the landing, like making my turn on time, the nose starts to dip. Today, I focused on using trim to prevent the nose from dipping too much. But airspeed is not my only problem.

Holding the centerline on final is still difficult for me. I continue to drift to the left of the centerline. Tom is patient with me, and reminds me that I'm drifting, but at this point he must feel like a broken record.

"Use the control wheel to control your drift. Use the rudder to control which way the nose is pointing."

Boy, am I having trouble using the rudder on final.

"Right rudder! Right rudder!" Tom warns as I flare for landing.

I apply some right rudder, but it's never enough. The plane lands slightly crooked, and I feel that side load on the landing gear again.

"When I say right rudder, I mean right rudder!" Tom is emphatic, but he never gets frustrated. Nerves of steel, this guy.

Continuing to work on soft field takeoffs, and it is very unnerving. I am simulating taking off from a grass field. I am required to pull back on the control wheel in the takeoff roll, thereby lifting the nose wheel off the ground as I roll. This is necessary because the nose wheel is susceptible to bogging down when it is rolling on grass if the grass is wet. Hitting a muddy patch on takeoff roll could result in a terrible accident. Then, once the plane finally lifts off, I am required to push the control wheel forward to stay level with the ground about 20 feet off the ground, still within ground effect which helps the plane stay aloft, until I reach the climbout speed of 75 knots, and then I must pull back and climb out as normal.

The scariest part of this maneuver is immediately after liftoff. The ground seems so close, and I'm trying to accelerate over the ground without descending into it. The soft field takeoff is done with 10 degrees of flaps, and the plane really wants to climb. It takes a lot of strength to push the control wheel forward and stay in ground effect. Tom reminds me to apply nose-down trim so that I don't have to push forward so hard on the control wheel, but it makes me nervous. I know what Tom wants me to do, but once in a while I need extra time to wrap my head around his instructions.

When I'm practicing short field takeoffs, I'm trying to use the shortest amount of runway in my takeoff roll. When I enter the runway, I am required to taxi backwards slightly so that my takeoff roll starts as far back as possible. Once I am on the centerline, I apply full brakes and push the throttle to full, then release the brakes to start my roll, which permits me to accelerate more quickly. When I reach 55 knots, I pull back on the control wheel to pitch the nose up and climb out at only 60 knots. This is Vx, or the speed that permits the best angle of climb, and allows me to more effectively clear an obstacle which might be at the end of the runway. Once I am 50 feet above the ground, I pitch the nose forward for the regular climbout speed of 75 knots.

For both soft field and short field takeoffs, the wing's angle of attack is higher than normal. I must apply a healthy amount of right rudder to counteract P-Factor, torque and gyroscopic precession. Again, Tom reminded me a couple times to apply more right rudder. I know what I must do, and now I simply have to do it.

Continuing to learn. Each lesson offers a small victory.

- Airman Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment